The University of Michigan (U-M) privacy statement recognizes the value of privacy of the university community members and its guests.
This unit-level privacy notice provides more specific information on how Sessions @ Michigan collects and processes your personal information.
The notice applies to our practices for gathering and disseminating information related to Sessions @ Michigan ("we", "us", or "our") and is meant to provide you an overview of our practices when collecting and processing personal information.
How We Collect Information
We collect personal information in the following circumstances:
- Direct Collection, when you register for sessions, validate attendance, complete surveys, or give us your email communication preferences.
- U-M Staff, when a session organizer enters event registration on your behalf and records attendance.
- Automated Processes, when you authenticate using U-M credentials, when we query the U-M directory (MCommunity), and when we place a cookie on your device.
What Type of Information We Collect
Direct and U-M Staff Collection
We directly collect the following personal information from you:
- Registration information such as your uniqname, full name, UMID and U-M affiliation
- Event information such as topic, time and location of the sessions for which you register
- Your responses to survey questions from session organizers
- Your attendance of a session and method of recording the attendance (via Mcard scan, self check-in, kiosk screen, etc.)
- Your email communication preferences.
During your visit to Sessions @ Michigan, we automatically collect and store certain information about your visit, which includes:
- Logging information, such as the last IP address you logged in from, browser's user agent string, and the last time you logged in to the website
- Your uniqname, U-M affiliation (student, staff, faculty, etc), department, UMID, and preferred name obtained from MCommunity.
We also use third-party advertising and marketing providers such as Google Analytics. Information collected through Google Analytics includes:
- Date / Time of visit
- User's browser information
- User's approximate geolocation from IP Address
- URLs of web pages the user has viewed on Sessions @ Michigan.
How This Information Is Used
The personal information we collect is used to:
- Enable our service: registration and survey response information allows session organizers to successfully plan and facilitate events
- Promote university events: registration and attendance information may be used to promote future events through marketing e-mails
- Support institutional planning and reporting: attendance information is used to track impact of sessions and programs organized by U-M departments
- Enable research: registration and attendance information may be used for academic research purposes
- Provide service support: information about user visits allows us to monitor website performance, make improvements to site navigation and content, and better serve our visitors.
The use of your data for the purposes outlined above is safeguarded through several mechanisms, including the Institutional Review Board (IRB), the U-M Standard Practice Guide, and the U-M Data Governance framework.
With Whom This Information Is Shared
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as with university partners or external service providers that support business activities.
Specifically, your Sessions @ Michigan registration and attendance information is imported into the Student Org Salesforce instance. As a service provider, Salesforce has access to that information in order to support our activities.
We require service providers to keep your personal information secure, and do not allow them to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
What Choices You Can Make About Your Information
Direct Collection: Email preferences
E-mail and communication preferences can be modified by going to your profile here: User Profile or clicking on the link at the bottom of any e-mail from us and unchecking the box for each type of communication.
Automated Collection: Cookies
We use "cookies" to enhance your user experience when visiting /. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit to our website. When you access Sessions @ Michigan, the following cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings:
|Session Cookie||U-M session cookies are used to track your page requests after authentication. They allow you to proceed through different pages on our website without having to authenticate for each new area you visit.||You can adjust your session cookies through your browser settings.|
Third-Party Collection: Google Analytics tracking
You can opt out of Google Analytics tracking here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
How Information Is Secured
The University of Michigan recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we endeavor to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The University of Michigan strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
Privacy Notice Changes
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
Who To Contact With Questions Or Concerns
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact the Student Life Technology Solutions team at firstname.lastname@example.org or the U-M Privacy Office at email@example.com or 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109.
Notice Specific To Persons Within The European Union
Please click here for notice specific to persons within the European Union.